First, let me say I am sorry I have not been very active the last week. Recouping from surgery drained me in all ways imaginable, but am happy to report I am on my own 2 feet again! No more crutches! YAYYYY
Since I got the release from my MD that I could give the crutches up, I have been obsessed with getting things done that were driving me insane when I wasn’t able to do them, thus pushing myself a little too far LOL.
Tonight, we had a light dinner, though I am so stuffed I can barely breathe LOL.
Homemade broccoli cheese soup!
2-1/2 C Chicken broth
1/2 C Heavy cream
3 C Broccoli, chopped
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 C Shredded cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1-1/2 tsp freshly ground sea salt and about 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper)
- In a blender combine cream cheese, 1 cup broccoli, heavy cream, and 1/2 C broth. Blend until well combined and creamy.
- Loosely chop the remaining broccoli into bite-size pieces or smaller if you like.
- Combine remaining broth and broccoli with mix from the blender in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat so as to not scorch the cream, stirring constantly.
- When broccoli is heated through and tender but not soggy, stir in the shredded cheddar and mix until cheese is completely melted and combined. Serve hot.
****Makes 4 servings when pairing it with something else (some suggestions below). Otherwise, just the soup alone was about 3 servings.
While I chose not to make anything to go with it tonight, ham steak goes well with it with fresh dinner rolls (gluten-free for my household) or Schar gluten-free chibatta bread toasted in a toaster or pizza oven with butter and garlic salt……mmmm mmm delicious!!